Friday, August 13, 2010

FIrst Gig

Last night/this morning was a first for many things. My first Canadian Pub experience was also my first band gig. And by this, I don't.... actually I do mean to mislead you (all in the name of suspense, right?)

I don't have much time between now - at the library - and my bus to work, but here is last night/this morning's story.

If you're wondering, which you probably are, it was my first band photography gig. A few nights ago a friend called me up to photograph his band. Fortunately, I could move around my work schedule and fit the Gig in, despite not having all the best gear/preparation for the gig.

I paid a visit to Camera Traders to pick up what I could get the day before and I stumbled across a flash with a sensor. While not as great as a wireless flash may have been, it was really fun getting members of my family and co-workers zapped by it unexpectedly. In the end, the flash did not work out. Strobe work is extremely complex, and near impossible to master in an environment you don't get to play around in before the band starts. So, of course, I abandoned the flash, turned my ISO up to 800 (O.o) - which my K-x handles exceedingly well - and captured what I could with the terrible lighting in Logan's Pub.

I now understand why the vast majority of band photo's are in black and white; at least I think this is because of all the conflicting colours of light. With what equipment I had and the conditions I was in, I was quite pleased with a number of exposures I had taken.

As well as shooting, I did a bit of networking... I really need to design a business card, it would have been handy last night. Perhaps there is prospect of more gigs in the future for me. It all depends on if the other bands like what they will see once I am finished the editing process.

On the stage last night were Staves, the T.O.C, Chris Neal and West Coast Daze. On the dance floor was me, grooving and shooting; a bit unexpected to some of my friends who envision me on the stage more than on the dance floor or behind a camera. Hey, I can still play guitar; perhaps one day I will need someone to take photo's of me on stage.

On a side note: the, "I'm a photographer," phrase works quite well at bars.

[=



In this photo: Devon Delarge: Homie and Member of "West Coast Daze".

No comments:

Post a Comment